Chamber Info Welcome Center Our Community Events Directory Listings News Links
Relocation Information

Welcome Home!

Welcome to Rabun County. We're glad you've decided to settle in one of Georgia's most breathtaking communities. In an effort to help you get settled, we have compiled some basic relocation information.

Electricity: Your electric supplier is based on your location. Residential, commercial and industrial customers are served by one of three companies:
Georgia Power Company
Habersham EMC
Haywood EMC


Gas: Natural gas is available in Clayton, Tiger Dillard, Mountain City, and Tallulah Falls. Propane gas is available from various area dealers.

Water & Sewer: The City of Clayton operates a municipal water system consisting of two surface water treatment plants located in Mountain City and on Lake Rabun. The city supplies water to Clayton, Tiger, and Mountain city, and is expanding throughout most of the county. Plant treatment capacity is 2.75 million gallons per day; consumption is 750,000 per day; and storage capacity if 1.85 million gallons. Clayton also operates a municipal wastewater treatment plant with a capacity of .8 million gallons daily for a monthly average. Septic systems are used in the remainder of the county, with the exception of a few self-contained waste treatment systems. For more information contact the City of Clayton at (706) 782-4512.

Garbage: Residential, industrial, and commercial sanitation service is provided by private contactors, including: United Waste Services (706) 754-3449

: Service is provided by:

Windstream - (855) 575-7625
Cingular Wireless

Driver's License
: New residents are required to obtain a Georgia Driver's license within 30 days of establishing a permanent residence. Members of the military are not required to obtain a Georgia license if they will be in the state for a temporary time period. For detailed information on fees, examinations and other requirement visit the Georgia DMV website.

Motor Vehicle Registration: In order to register a vehicle, new residents must show proof of residence. A 1986 or newer model car must be accompanied by a title or proof of title. A 1985 model or older is not required to be titled, but proof of ownership is still required. Proof of insurance and a valid Georgia driver's license is also required. For further details call the Rabun County Tax Commissioner's Office at (706) 782-3613.

Voter Registration: Applicants must be 18 years or older and a U.S. citizen with proof of residency to register. A valid driver's license or other form of ID is required. To register, or for further details, contact the Rabun County Registrar's Office at (706) 782-3613.

Marriage License: Marriage licenses are issued and recorded by the Rabun County Probate Court. The bride and groom must be 18 years or older (or have parental permission), appear in person, and present valid identification. The fee is $27 is proof of premarital counseling and $62 without. If previously divorced, a final divorce decree must be presented at the time of application. For additional information contact the Rabun County Probate Court at (706) 782-3614.

Hunting & Fishing License: Licenses may be obtained through the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Resources Division or by calling (888) 748-6887. Local marinas, bait and tackle stores, and other retailers also sell licenses, including Wal-Mart, Reeve's Hardware, Dickerson's, and Five Point Grocery.

Hunting: Residents and non-residents born on or after January 1, 1961 must successfully complete a hunter education course before purchasing a license. Individuals 16-25 must have this certificate in their possession at all times while hunting. Persons 12-15 are not eligible for a license, but must also complete this course. It is unlawful for children under 12 to hunt unsupervised.

Non-Resident License: Non-residents of all ages are required to have either a one day, seven day, or season hunting license, as well as a big game license to hunt big game.

Fishing: All anglers 16 years and older are required to possess a fishing license (covers fresh and salt water) when fishing in public areas. A fishing license if not required when fishing in privately owned ponds.

Sportsman License: This license covers all sport hunting and fishing privileges with the exception of the Federal Duck Stamp, Trout Stamp and Alligator license.

Copyright © 2017 Rabun County Chamber of Commerce